Thursday, August 11, 2011

Spiderman Birthday Party: Part 1 & 2, As Featured on Amy Atlas!

Okay, folks, here it is! As featured on AMY ATLAS!!!! :-)



I'm beyond thrilled and deeply honored that my son's Amazing Spiderman Party is being featured by Amy Atlas on her blog today! :-) Click here to see Amy's post about the party.

For those of you who have been waiting patiently to see these photos, here are the first and second parts in a whole series of posts (which will be added to this blog over the next several weeks) about the long-awaited Spiderman Birthday Party!! Stay tuned for Part 3: Games and Activities, Part 4: Decorations, Part 5: Food & Drinks, Part 6: Party Favors, and Part 7: Daily Bugle Staff.


Note: If you're joining us from Amy Atlas, please read on for many more details and lots of photos...

Spiderman Birthday Party:
Part 1, Theme and Invitations

The Marvel-ous theme for this party came (just as it should!) from the birthday boy himself—he just LOVES Spiderman; so, even though I’m not a huge fan myself and the theme is fairly commercialized, I set out to create an amazing Spiderman party for him! I envisioned something with lots of red and blue, skyscrapers, webs, spiders, and comic flair. I decided to go with the old Marvel Comics Amazing Spiderman, rather than the Hollywood movie Spiderman (which I find a bit creepy for a 4 year old!) I started planning a couple of months ago in order to be able to pull it all together in my limited free time. My amazingly talented friend, Bird, from Bird’s Party, was able to take my vision and design a set of custom paper printables for the party. Please visit Bird's Party for many more awesome party printables collections.

Here's the birthday boy, complete with his Spiderman gear...


If you missed the post about the invitations, click here. I made the invitations myself, using an electronic cutter to cut the black cardstock webbing for Spiderman’s face. The webbing was then glued to red cardstock. I backed the invitation with a Spiderman comic strip and topped it with a vellum sheet with the party details. I hand stamped the envelops with skyscrapers.




Spiderman Birthday Party:
Part 2, The Dessert Table

The focal point of the dessert table was a giant building backdrop that I drew by hand using thick, black permanent marker on foam board. I used foam blocks to connect the buildings to one another. I stuck a Spiderman wall decal on foam board too and suspended him in front of the building backdrop, with webs shooting out of his wrists, to create a 3D effect.

What do you think of the dessert table? I was really thrilled that it turned out the way I'd envisioned it in my head. Erin Homann Photography captured the event with her wonderful photography. Check out Erin's other work at Erin Homann Photography.





I designed the cake myself and had it made by a local San Antonio bakery.


I found a fabulous vendor on Etsy, Radiant Cakes, to make the cake pops. The cake pops came individually wrapped, complete with ribbon! And I heard that they tasted great; although, I didn't get to taste one because they were gobbled up really quickly by the children at the party! Visit Radiant Cakes for these and many other cake pop designs.


I also bought the Spiderman cookies on Etsy, from SweetLill (which was an equally sweet experience). SweetLill is a new vendor on Etsy, but has a very high quality product. The cookies was as tasty as they were beautiful. She even sent me some mini Spiderman cookies (but those didn't last until the party!) Visit her Etsy store for more cookie designs.


Last, but by no means least, the fabulous fondant cupcake toppers were also purchased on Etsy, from Village Cupcakes. These toppers were so adorable that most of the children took them home to "play with" rather than eating them! :-) Please visit Village Cupcakes for more cupcake topper designs.


And here is more eye candy from the dessert table....




I made the cupcake stands out of tin cans and cake boards! For a tutorial on how to make these type of cupcake stands, visit Bird's blog. I covered the tin cans with scrapbook paper from the printables collection and covered the cake boards with red construction paper. I drew webs on the construction paper and rimmed the cake boards with more webbing.


I also made these Spider lollipops. This is such an easy DIY, but if you need detailed instructions, please check back for a tutorial to be posted soon!























The birthday boy LOVES sugared marshmallows!

Stay tuned for Part 3: Games and Activities, Part 4: Decorations, Part 5: Food & Drinks, Part 6: Party Favors, and Part 7: Daily Bugle Staff.

46 comments:

  1. Congrats Smita... you are truly amazing ;)!!! <3 Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. this party looks fantastic!!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you mind sharing where you found the Spiderman paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so creative and fantastic!! i just love this!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this party! They backdrop of the table is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best party I have yet seen online. Amazing! You are a super mom. My Son's gonna have a Spiderman party in a few weeks. It won't be this great, but I'm hoping the little guy will have fun. Thanks for sharing some ideas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mini black spider web garland around the cake stands and the different papers used in the banner with your son's name. I also love the comic strip labels (i.e. Popcorn, Spider Bites, etc...). Where did you get the spiderwebs for around the cake stands and the paper for the banner. And are the comic labels from a print out or clip art? Can you give me a little info about those too? Thank you. You did an awesome job on everything!!!

    Stacy - skinn323@hotmail.com (I don't have any accounts with any of the options to leave a comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spiderman paper and paper for the banner is from Bird's printable collection. The comic labels are also from Bird's printable collection. Go to www.birdsparty.com

      The spider webs around the cake stands were made using a Martha Atewart craft punch, avaialbe at craft stores or online.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for all the praise! I had such a blast putting it all together and Sohan had a truly unforgettable birthday!

      Delete
  8. I love the 3D Spiderman. Could you tell me what size foam board you used for the Spiderman wall Decall.
    You did an awesome job. I love everything about this party. I'm using your ideas for my son's birthday party. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the 3D Spiderman. Could you share the size foam board you used for the Spiderman decall. I'm using your party ideas for my son birthday. You did an awesome job. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the best spiderman parties I've seen! Thanks for sharing, I hope I can make my son's party this cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome party! You did a wonderful job with everything. I am throwing my son a spiderman party in a few months and I was curious where did you find the red and blue water flasks from? Thank you for all the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. how do you make sugar marshmallows?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a tutorial on how to make sugared marshmallows:

    http://www.thepartywall.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentines-day-home-made-marshmallow.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome!! wonderful creativity & very genuine ideas!!! thanks for sharing. I have to show my sons this awesome party of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply incredible! Thanks for the inspiration! How did you make the spider lollipops? I searched for the tutorial but couldn't find it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't posted the tutorial, but I do keep meaning too! Sorry! They are relatively easy to make--all you need is a lollipop mold (I bought mine on Amazon), Wilton candy melts and lollipop sticks (you can buy online or at most craft stores). You just melt the candy and fill the molds and insert the lollipop sticks, then refridgerate until set and pop them out of the molds. Hope that helps

      Delete
  16. What electronic cutter did you use for the invitations? I have a cricut but it doesn't look like there is a cricut cartridge with spiderman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot make these invitations on the Cricut, since there is no cartridge, but many other cutters allow you to design your own graphics on the computer and cut them--try Craftwell eCraft, Black Cat Cougar/Lynx, Boss Kut Gazelle, Pazzles Inspiration, Silhouette, USCutter.

      Delete
  17. Hello I was wondering if you ever posted the spiderman lollipop tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but I do keep meaning too! Sorry! They are relatively easy to make--all you need is a lollipop mold (I bought mine on Amazon), Wilton candy melts and lollipop sticks (you can buy online or at most craft stores). You just melt the candy and fill the molds and insert the lollipop sticks, then refridgerate until set and pop them out of the molds. Hope that helps

      Delete
  18. Would you be interested in making another backdrop? Of course you will be paid! If not, any ideas were I could get one made? I love it so much and would never be able to make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Kelly, if only you'd posted your comment a few weeks earlier. I still had the buildings in my garage and would have been happy to sell them to you, but I actually just recently hacked them all up and "recycled" them into a Oncler Factory and Oncler house for my Lorax party. :-(

      Delete
  19. Just had a spiderman party with some of these wonderful ideas.the sugar marshmallows and capes were a hit!!! Thanks so much for sharing! My son had a great 4th birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Simply an amazing party well done. Which Martha Stewart craft punch design did you use for the trimming above? Thanks a million, Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The punch I used is the Martha Stewart double-edged spider web punch. It's available at Michael around Halloween, but you can buy it online at any time of the year. I've seen it on Amazon and several craft retail websites.

      Delete
  21. Love it all!! Where did you get the little signs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The signs are all part of Bird's Party printables collection available for purchase as www.birdsparty.com

      Delete
  22. where did you get the fabric for the capes? and was it costume fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the fabric from hobby lobby. It is blue and red satin.

      Delete
  23. Hi! Can you tell me where you got the red/blue flasks? Also how you make the popcorn boxes? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the flasks from Michaels. They were $1 each. I made the popcorn boxes on my electronic cutter, but you can buy popcorn boxes online at orientaltrading.com or from party city.

      Delete
  24. where did you get the boxes for the refueling packs (lunch)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered the gable boxes for the refueling packs from u-line, an online retailer of packing supplies.

      Delete
  25. Such a cute party! I am doing one for my sons 5th birthday in October. I also live in San Antonio, who did Sohan's cake? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did you post the spiderman lollipop tutorial yet?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, where did you get the spidernam table runner going down the middle of the table?

    ReplyDelete
  28. how did you make red and blue popcorn???

    ReplyDelete
  29. Where did you get the web table runner please email nrojas621@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Where did you find the web table runner please email nrojas621@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks amazing well done ,did you make all the costumes for the kids ?please send me a close up pic would love to do the same x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey thanks a ton , ur ideas are cool , could get some done with the help of ur ideas for my lil ones birthday, it was a fabulous party , had many games as well ! would love to share what i did , for sure its not gonna be perfect like urs , but looked good i guess .

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Smita !
    I found some amazing spiderman wall stickers for the birthday of my son here : https://www.stickersforhome.com/spiderman-bedroom-wall-sticker/

    I thought you could add them here, it is really giving a nice touch to the walls easily, and it is really cheap !

    Cheers,

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...